Because I'm Terrible at Scrapbooks
Mr. & Mrs. B-Love

the boat outing

Land Ho!

Finally, home at last. Today was the big exciting, “you’re gonna meet a lot of people” boat trip. Right. Sure. Whatever. It turned out okay.

I am convinced Kuwait is the dirtiest place on earth. Seriously. First of all because the nationals just throw their trash all over the place because the TCNs (third country nationals) will pick it up. It is really trashy in some parts.

Secondly, because of the smog, pollution and most of all dirt that sits all over the country. This month starts the dirt months- like 4 months of dirt all in the air constantly. Dirt is everywhere- even weird places. I took a bowl out of the cupboard the other day and it had a little film of dirt… It’s just a strange thing. You can’t even see a mile in front of you because the sand just sits like a dense fog. Anyway- this is what we were all covered in after today’s trip.

I had sand caked in my hair, all over my lips… it was so very glamourous.

Today’s trip was okay, but I“m not convinced it was the way I wanted to a day off with Will. It was hellishly hot, which as some of you know puts me in a foul disposition. I should have known today was going to be long when our air conditioner froze up and I got in the shower and accidentally used conditioner in my hair instead of shampoo- such beautiful and shiny hair. Gross. The story of my life. smile

Anyway, the trip to the island was almost cancelled. The water was very choppy. White caps where everywhere. The captain said we would be okay- and for that I want to grab him and shake him and make him walk the plank. If I ever have kids I will never buy them a flippin’ rocking cradle. I felt like a tall baby in the boat today. Its like each of us returned to childhood this afternoon. People were puking, mumbling things that made no sense… the rocking was out of control. As I sit here and write this I still feel like I am dipping down into the ocean. Anyway, it was a 2 hour ride. About an hour in the water started to smooth out and it was really enjoyable. We sat outside and saw the pretty water and the breeze really cut the smoldering heat. It turned out nice. The boat stopped on the island and everyone got off. P and I opted to stay in the airconditioned boat, but we got bored real quick and took the little shuttle boat to the island. It was so much fun! I wish we would have went earlier and stayed longer. It was really nice. It was nothing at all what we had envisioned. I was thinking palm trees- like a scene from the show Lost. Ha. It wasn’t too impressive but nonetheless still fun. It was just a chunk of sandy land with this huge cell phone tower right in the middle. I guess its nice to know that if you get stranded now a days, you’re just a phone call away to safety! Why don’t they tell the people on Survivor that!

We got back on the boat and that was the best part of the day. IT was so relaxing. We just sat outside, in the middle of this horrible dust and relaxed. ( I don’t think you notice how dusty it is until you realize you can’t see things half a mile away) It felt cool because of the breeze and we had the whole upstairs to ourselves. It turned out to be an okay day.

I’m not so sure Will had a great time, but I can totally understand why. Everyday is like a weekend for me, but weekends to Will are very precious. It is the only time he has to relax- and its probably not the most relaxing thing taking a hot and sandy boat trip with your bosses. We still had a good time together though.

Anyway, I’m am quite a mess- I have yet to take a shower. don’t worry, I’ll check the bottle this time- SHAMPOO!!

just another day

Yesterday turned out to be a good day and a nice start to our weekend.

My mom had the day off because they changed up her schedule this week, so that was nice. She recently got her license over here so we were able to get out and about.  We picked my sister up early from school and went out to lunch. Afterwards, we went to the Sultan Center, similar to Walmart, and did some grocery shopping. There were a lot of westerners there, so it was nice. It just feels more like home when you get a friendly hello from a westerner. My mom says that most of them get up really early on Thursday or Friday (our weekend) and go grocery shopping to beat the rush (which is when my parents usually go), so she was surprised to see so many people out.

My mom did a good job driving- we didn’t even get lost! It is very easy to get lost here because very few roads are marked. You want to know something else really strange? They don’t have a phonebook! Talk about going crazy! I have no access to any phone numbers here. You want to find a doctor or make a hair appointment or call for pizza? Good luck. You just have to hope your heiress (kind of like a apartment concierge) has a good list of numbers. Anyway, I got a little sidetracked, moving on…

Will got home later that afternoon and we were able to sit and just talk about how I was feeling. He really needs my support during this time- hes working really long hours, away from his family, etc.- and I haven’t really been sensitive to that. It will be a lot earier to spend time together once we get our own place, but that may take longer than we expected. One good thing is that Will got his license yesterday, so going on dates and just being together on weekends will be a lot easier. I felt a lot better after we laid everything on the table and I listened to how I could be a better encourager about the things we can’t change (like living with my parents and the lack of time to ourselves).

Today was a lazy day. We got Showtime, which is like a better cable network here. It can’t be much worse, thats for sure. They have the BBC food channel and E!, so I am thinking I hit the jackpot. I finished my book. It turned out to be pretty good. I think I will get a few more online and hope the shipping doesn’t take forever.

I think we are going to go to the Contiki tonight( I have no idea how to spell that). It is a fancy Polynesian place. Its in one of the hotels here. Its a part of this awesome wooden ship. I guess Kuwait is or was (I’m not really sure) famous for making huge wooden ships. Our restaurant isn’t in the ship, but I’m hoping to get to go in and check it out.

I’m not really sure what the plan is for tomorrow. Hal, the man who leads my parent’s bible study, mentioned changing things up for a while. I guess everyone that goes to the study but our family is going to work 12 hour days 7 days a week until Camp Doha is closed. The closing of Camp Doha is a REALLY long story. In short: after the Gulf War, the US agreed to keep their base open there for 10 years. The contract will be up at the end of this year and the Kuwaitis do not want to renew it because it is on a really lucrative piece of land- a port that they are hoping to turn into a hub. They want to develop one of the islands off the coast into a major tourist spot- kind of like Dubai- that premits drinking and gambling, etc. (which is ironic since their government is adamantly against those things). Anyway, Doha is going to be the hub for boats to take people to and from the island. So, everyone is having to move to other camps in Kuwait. Now, why did I feel the need to write all of that whey I really only had the intention of talking about a hiatus on Bible study? Who knows.Anyway, I am hoping we will figure something out. I think it is good for us all to get together, just for accountability and time to be with friends.

No other exciting news to report (not that what I said was exciting by any means grin ). 

Guess I better get going for now- I think I am going to get my eyebrows threaded. Ever heard of it? Neither have I and I am terrified of what they are going to do. No one waxes here, so this thread thing will be interesting…

My roll of film is done, so I should get them developed and have some picture up by the middle of next week, that way people will believe me when I tell them its not all camels and dirt.

i miss will

I miss Will. Our life has been totally different than what we are used to. Back home, our schedule was something most couples dream of. Will had Friday off ,and I was done with my classes and work by 11 so we had the entire day to spend together. Then we had all of saturday, and even though church was considered work for Will, we still had the afternoons off together before we had to go back for evening service. I miss the convenience of meeting up for lunch and his ability to take an hour off here and there throughout the month. And who could forget our long evenings of guiltless TV watching and Madden playing.

I knew things would be different when we moved here- going from having something similar to a 3 day weekend at home to working 4 10 hour days and getting up at 3:45 to get ready for work. That’s a pretty different schedule than what we were used to.

Will and I got in a tiff the last few nights this past week because I feel like I never get to see him. Our schedule is like: he gets home close to 6, we eat, are up for about an hour and a half and try to be in bed by 8:30 or maybe 9. As I have referred back to DOZENS of times, I am a time person, and without going in to The Five Love Languages mechanics for the upteenth time, that is how I feel the most close to Will. So, time has become quite a precious commodity around here. We’ve talked about it a lot the last few days, and as usual, Will was right (I hate that). One of the biggest barriers to us functioniong somewhat normally is the fact that we are still living with my parents. Our time has to be shared and divided up among 3 other people besides just us. We eat together, watch TV together, Will goes to work with them each morning. On top of that, they are constantly talking about work since it is a commonality they share. That leaves P and I to make up stupid stories about saving women in burning buildings just so they will relax and stop with the work talk all of the time. We are constantly surrounded by my family, which makes alone time about as common as a sleeting day in Kuwait. I love my family and I am SO grateful for the way they have just let us camp out here right now, but I am ready for us to get our own place because I think that will greatly help with the few hours we are able to spend together.

I’m sorry for whining and “poor Brittny” talking, but this is quite a big change for me, and being alone all day in the same scenery has not helped (as a side note I started a great book by Taylor Smith called, Liars Market).

Thats it for now. Lucky for me, will gets off at 3 on wednesdays we we can get an early jump start on the weekend. Thanks for listening.

being a spy’s wife

My life is full of embarrassing moments. Maybe I am even being too kind when I say embarrassing. I guess I should just call it like it is and tell you that I regularly have “blonde moments.”

Stop where you are, and don’t let your mind wander and think I am a ditz or not smart- I graduated cum laude (I don’t say that to be a pious snob, I say that so you really know that an “educated” person can consistently have these types of lapses grin ). So now you are probably like, “Okay, shes smart, but shes one of those that has NO common sense.” Its not really that either, I just have stupid moments sometimes I guess. smile

My life is full of moments when I will do something “blonde“ when I’m by myself and I just breathe a sigh of relief and think, “Thank God no one was in my presence. Talk about a ‘Jessica Moment’.“

Well, last night I had one of those moments. I obviously had the option of letting my family have a good laugh and then tell no one else (probably the better option), or tell my fellow Nest Bloggers about my silly moment. I guess I’m sharing…

Its always hard to write a funny moment, so I don’t know how this will go- there is no room for inflection or motions to explain things better… so if this story makes absolutely no sense, you can chalk it up to my Mrs. Hamlin, my 8th grade English teacher.

If I had to rank the times I have been most scared in the last 5 years, last night would have made the list.

It was about 12:30 at night, and Will and I had already been asleep for a few hours. Well, for some reason, I wake up and Will has his right arm (the arm closest to me) pointed in the air at about a 45 degree angle and is doing all of these crazy hand motions and number signs or something. By now, I’m wide awake and am asking Will what is going on. He tells me, “I have to see who else is up.“

“What do you mean Will?“

“I can’t tell you.“ So now I am totally disturbed.

“Why can’t you tell me?“

“Don’t worry about it. If it was important I would tell you.“

“Tell me, Will!“

“I can’t tell you. Don’t worry about it. Go to sleep.“

So, he then rolls over and goes to sleep. And I turn over and do the same....

Yeah right.

I sat up in bed against the headboard for almost 2 hours freaking out about our conversation. I was thinking all sorts of things like:

-Is our apartment monitored for safety? Have they seen everything I have done for the last 2 weeks ( so that sent me on a 20 minute tangent as I tried to retrace my every move for the last 2 weeks and think about what “they“ were able to see)

- I read an article on the plane over here about a business planting chips in people- have I seen any cuts or scratches on Will? Could that have happened??

-Does Will have a different job? Is he one of the people in the company that has to have a special security clearance? Is there something I don’t know?

For the sake of my dignity (it might be too late) I will stop there with all of the thoughts I was thinking. I assure you they got much worse. I watch and read WAY to many political thrillers. I had everyone in my family being brainwashed and… I’ll just stop there.

The next morning Will woke me up and I asked him what he was doing last night. He told me he was just dreaming. Since we have been married, there have been a few times when Will has talked in his sleep and done stuff (one night he jumped out of bed and told me there was a snake in the bed. AHH). I guess just being in a totally different environment made this sleeptalking escapade a little frightening. Plus, it was different then the other few.

So either my husband has strange dreams and feels the need to share them through his sleep with me by scaring me senseless… or he really is working for the CIA as a spy and has been brainwashed with an implanted chip....

we no longer have a house payment- so why am I so sad!?

Theres something about that “first house” when you just get married. For most of us, theres nothing really overly special or extravagant about it on the outside, but there is something so unique about coming home that night from your honeymoon to the first house you two will live in together.

I remember coming home from our honeymoon late at night, thinking of all of the unpacking I would have to do the next day, but when we walked in, our parents had surprised us and set up a lot of our house already. That was really special, and a big relief since I had school that Monday. smile

I never realized how much I really loved our little condo until the night we were about to move.

Will and I were sleeping on the floor because or mattress was already in storage and the air compressor his mom gave us for the inflatable one didn’t have a nozzle to air it up. We were exhausted from our very long day of packing, trashing, or storing our belongings. I am almost positive Will was just about to head off to sleep when I started to tear up, realizing this was the last time we would ever sleep in this house. I started crying thinking about all of the great times we had had there. So, I inturrupted Will from his sleep so he could listen to me cry and be all sentimental about our little house (lucky him).

I thought about our pre-health insurance meals- when we were able to eat really well because we hadn’t gotten my out of this world expensive health insurance yet (where all of our grocery money seemed to go). smile

I thought about lazy evenings in our living room, when I would sit in Will’s lap on the recliner and we would talk about our days and watch TV.

I thought about our air conditioner breaking down and how we had to use the last of our wedding gift money to pay for it.

I remember how that summer we got the “sacred” letter in the mail telling us we got OU season tickets. Will was so happy that day.

I remember my first Easter there with my sweet basket surprise, and my first Christmas there with my Christmas tree surprise. 

I remembered last summer and how Will decided to start landscaping our yard (his dad is a landscape contractor, so its in his blood- or so I thought). He and his friend Billy made this gorgeous rock bed on the right side of our condo. Will had “good intentions” of rocking the other side that next month, but It somehow didn’t get done until I don’t even remember- sometime that late fall maybe. So then we had this beautiful rock bed full of nothing but weeds. About a month and a half ago, Will decided to finally finish the beds. He and his dad put cedar wood chips in it and filled it with pretty green plants. I loved coming home to it. The sad thing was that it wasn’t even 100% done until literally the week we were moving, so I never even was able to fully enjoy the entire front of our little condo.

Anyway, I cried about a lot of things. I mean, it was the first house we had ever lived in. We filled it with a lot of memories. <3

Well, today we found out our little house will be getting new owners on July 6. I am happy that we no longer have the financial burden of paying for a house we aren’t living in, but (this is probably crazy) I am a little sad because someone else will be living there now. I mean, I always knew we weren’t going to live there very long, and its not like we were the first people to live there… I guess its because it was the first house we had together as a team- our own place where we could have our own rules and could do what we wanted (a luxury I am desperatley missing since we have been living with my parents).

Anyway, that is what is on my mind this afternoon. I am sooo glad that “Friday” has arrived. I’m not sure what we have planned for the weekend, but I know it will be nice to finally get some time with Will. For everyone else, have a good hump day.

maybe we’ll lead a normal life in Kuwait afterall

Our first “real” weekend in Kuwait made a realize that we will truly live a very “normal” life while we were here. It felt a lot like the states… but sweltering.

Where to start? I am going to look forward to Wednesdays. The work week in Kuwait is 48 hours, so everyone works 4 10 hour days and one 8 hour days. Will got home at 3:30 on Wednesday, so it was like we had the whole afternoon to hang out and get an early start on the weekend. (it still seems like it should be call Friday everytime Wednesday hits… TGIW just doesn’t have the same ring). Everyone got home and we hung out a while and then my dad made reservations for us to eat at the Crown Plaza hotel for my graduation!

Since I have been kept inside all week, it felt so good to get out. This counrty is nocturnal to the extreme, so everything is so busy at night- we were out what they would say is “early” at 7:00. There are several restaurants in the hotel, but we chose to eat at this western steakhouse. It was really good. It was kind of humourous to see their take on “the old west.” I wonder if they still think there are outlaws and cowboys and horses there just like everyone thinks there are nothing but camels and people that don’t wear “normal” clothes over here. smile

Dinner was good, but we had to stop off at baskin robbins for desert- not the healthiest thing! smile Guys- I’m not joking. Evertime I get into a car here I am terrified. I have never experienced panic before, but I seem to each time I am in a car. They way the Kuwaitis drive is out of this world. First of all, very few streets are marked, so you have literally no idea where you are going. My dad has lived here for a year now and had to call a dentist’s office for directions on how to get there, and will tell you by things it is near because the buildings have no numbers. I wonder how they get their mail. Then people will get impatient and drive up on the median and curbs to pass those on the road and then cut in somehow! You can be in a turning lane and someone 3 lanes over will decide to turn and cut everyone off and almost hit you to turn too. Its craziness. I do not look forward to driving here. Today my dad wasn’t going fast enough (he was going the speed limit) so this car got right on out tail and started honking and flashing its lights and then it pulled right beside us and was halfway in out land and almost sideswiped us and was yelling and everything. I seriously almost hypervenhilated. It was terrifying because even though it wouldn’t have been our fault, the police almost always believe Kuwaitis over anyone else because of “wasta,“ which means power and is what this country seems to run by, It’s kind of an unspoken good ole boy system.

Anyway, since everyone comes out at night the traffic can get pretty bad. We sat in it for a while. We just counted all the porches and BMW 700s and landrovers we saw like it was a game.

Yesterday was nice. I felt like I was in America again. We got up around 8 and got ready. We went to this place that is similar to a best buy and my parents needed to buy a printer and a freezer because of the lack of space they have in the apartment. Then we went to the Sultan Center, which can be equivilated with Walmart to go shopping. We came back and unloaded everything and then we went to Marina Mall. It was soooo awesome. It is on Gulf Road, which is like the main road in the city where everything is located. We parked and then I was able to get an Aston Martin… or at least we got a picture by one. smile Will wanted me to take a picture of this gorgeous lamborgini but I didn’t want to look too suspicious. smile The mall was beautiful, like a really nice normal mall you would have in the states. Will was dying to see Star Wars on opening day, so we went ahead and did that. Their theatres are really nice with fancy seats. The movie was great- except they cut out the kissing scenes which I thought was weird. My mom slept through the whole thing. Pretty expensive nap. smile

After the movie we went to ChiChis, this mexican restaurant. It was like 6:30. Anytime Will and I would be home and go to dinner at that time we would have to wait for 30 minutes. Like I have said a thousand times, people don’t get out until late and don’t eat until after 8:30 or so. We were the only people in the entire restaurant! It was the first time I have ever had a restaurant to myself at 6:30 on the weekend.

After that, Will and I had a decision to make. I will try and quickly explain this as best as I can… Because I am not employed with my family’s company yet, I am unable to live with Will in our own apartment unless he pays $1,000 a month (which we can’t do). So, that has made things kind of hairy. We decided to move the few things we had in our apartment out until I got a job. Will is hoping that in the next few days we will be able to get him a room in my parent’s complex, so at least he will be closer and we will be able to see eachother. So we moved out of our cute little place and into my family’s for a while… this situation deserves a post of its own- 5 people in an apartment.

On our way out the “movie guys“ were there. They sell copies of new movies for like $3. We got Sahara, which is still in theatres, Ray, hotel Rwanda, and something else, I don’t remember.

I know this blog is getting long, and I am even leaving out things, but I am just glad about this weekend. Being by myself last week really made me wonder if being here was going to be okay, and this weekend was kind of a little reassurance that everything is going to be okay. Life is not that different from home- minus my friends and a few other things like Walmarts, wearing sleeveless shirts, and tap water. smile

Today was nice. My family usually goes to a Bible study led by some friends, but he and his wife were out of town this weekend, so we didn’t have it. We just kind of took it easy. We rested, went the nicer Sultan Center more downtown and got some things we had forgotten, and just drove around. We drove past some ferarri dealerships, and looked at some more car places. Will was drooling. Sorry Will, in your dreams. smile It still blows my mind how rich this country is. It’s crazy.

We also stopped by the beach real quick on our way to the dealerships. It was beautiful. We stopped along Gulf Road and took pictures. We only stayed a few minutes because I had no sunscreen, but it was really pretty.

Tonight we watched Hotel Rwanda. The main guy used to be on Saturday Night Live. He did a great job. It was funny to think of the sketches he was in, and then see him so serious now.

Thanks for reading this looong blog. I wish I could write more, about Geezys and our new living situation… but I will save those for another day! Hope you all have as good a weekend as I was able to! Off to bed now! Good Afternoon America! Goodnight Kuwait!

This May Take Awhile

This weekend left Will looking at each other and simply saying, “Wow, this was a great weekend.” There was nothing overly enexpected or exciting about our trip, but it was just a great weekend.

It started out special. After class I met will for a quick bite at Wendy’s. He told me he bought something for me and wanted me to hear it after lunch. So, we went out to his car and he told me he bought this cd because it had this song on it that reminded him of us. It was Keith Urban’s “Making Memories of Us.” I listened to it and started crying. It was so sweet that he surprised me with that. What a way to start a great weekend. After that I had to rush off because I had a hair appointment. My hair lady is so great. She was so excited about will and I’s adventure. Her parents are missionaires in Africa, so she was really glad for us and the opportunity to get out of Oklahoma for a while and travel and just do this awesome thing together.

After my hair appointment I went by my mom’s office to order the dress I had wanted from Ann Taylor. Yay! Then I cam home, will and I packed and we were off.

Our first stop was Quail Springs mall. I had a gift certificate from my favorite store, the Limited, to use before we move, so that was a blast! I got 2 cute pairs of capris, 3 cute little shell tops in different colors, another shirt and some earrings. IT was fun, and by then my gift card was blown. Anyway, so then we went to our hotel.

I had never stayed at the Waterford, so it was so fun. It was really pretty. We checked in and then went downstairs to Bellinis. We were starved! We are used to eating around 5:30 and by then it was well after 7, so we were so hungry we didn’t even really enjoy the atmosphere. We were concentrated on our food. smile It was really good, I will miss that place when we go- even though I’ve only been twice. smile

The next day was great. We went downstairs for breakfast- which was really yummy. After that, we checked out and headed to Norman. On the way, Will was listening to the radio and heard that the 3 living OU Heisman trophy winners from OU were signing autographs at Coach’s restaurant… so of course we had to go!

Will was like a little kid- it was adorable. He was all smiles. his dimples were in rare form. smile There was this limited edition lithograph picture thing that you could get signed, and of course it was the most expensive. Will really wanted it, so we decided to get it. I mean, he is going to be away from OU football for a while, how could I say no? We went it and got it autographed. Will shook Jason White’s hand and was like, “I really have enjoyed watching you play.” After we got done, he was so cute. He was like, “I shook Jason White’s hand!” HE got a little star struck to say the least. I was really happy for him, because it was a big thing for him to give up OU for a while. (I know to most that sounds silly, but when you live in Oklahoma… that is what you do). So anyway, we went to the game and met up with one of Will’s friends from high school that had drove down from Kansas. IT was good to see him and his wife. It was just good catching up on everything. His wife started selling Mary Kay too, so we had a lot to talk about… she is doing really well. I on the other hand, am not at the moment! smile Too much going on. The game was fun. There is just something being in that stadium and watching those guys play that gets you fired up. Like I said, OU is like our NFL team. It was great. I will really miss going ot all the games. I know Will will too. We had a lot of fun on those days!

After the game, we had to make a stop at Ted’s. I mean afterall, we won’t be able to go there for a while so we have to eat there every chance we can get! smile To say the least, I blew my diet as you can tell! smile

After that we headed home and stopped my will’s parent’s to show off his new treasure. They were impressed, but Will’s brother wasn’t (he is a vet student at OSU… talk about bedlam). smile

Sunday was pretty normal, except now our news is out in the open. IT was a mixed response… I won’t go into detail- it would take forever. I got a lot of questions about going over there with my blonde hair. They asked me if I was going to color it… I’m thinking no.

Anyway, there is so much more I want to write about all of that and the rest of the weekend, but I better move on and get started on what I really need to be doing on the computer.

I’m sitting in my parent’s house for probably the last time. Boy is that strange! I went to the cabinent to get something out, and then I realized that nothing would be there. There has always been a mirror in the hallway that I would glance at each time I walked by, but it’s gone. IT’s just such a different feeling. You don’t realize how big a house is until everything is out of it. I am excited about thie new huge change, but I am a “golden retreiver.” I am just kind of loyal to what I am used to and don’t do major change all that well. That is not bad, it just makes me different from some- like Will who will be sad but is ready to leave.

I want to say THANK YOU SO MUCH to those who have posted encouraging feedback the past few days. So many people where I am from just don’t get why we are doing this, so it has been nice to hear from people outside of my everyday life who can see things from another perspective. Talk about refreshing!

I want to leave you with just a last thought about my house. It is bittersweet. It is a speech I gave my 2nd year of college. I was going to doctor it up a bit because I think I’m a better writer now than I was back then, but I decided to leave it. As you will find out, the ending today is different then the ending when I wrote it- a little sader today! smile But nonetheless, it says kind of what I’m feeling now! I hope you all enjoy!

Thanks for listening! Have a great afternoon.

I’ve moved around a lot in my life. A whole lot I should say. My dad was in the military for 20 years, so my entire life that was the only lifestyle I knew. In fact, I just thought everyone moved as much as my family did. I didn’t know any different. To stay stationary didn’t seem normal. Now, when I say I moved around a lot as a kid I wasn’t lying. By the time I reached the 5th grade I had been in 9 different schools. That almost averages out at 2 a year. Moving was a normal thing, so each school change eventually became more of a minor transition to adjust to rather than the “end all be all” of my career as an elementary schooler. I had come to understand that the friends I made at school would only be temporary playmates, and that pen pals didn’t last forever. By then I had learned the basics, so adjusting to a new school had become a routine of simple rules to remember. I knew to never sit by the kid who ate paste, being picked as the helper for the week gave you instant popularity, and I learned that having the brand new box of 64 crayons with the sharpener on the back was the only box to have.

However, by 4th grade I began to realize that “normal” people’s families did not move around all the time. In fact- all of the friends I had come to know had lived in the same place all of their lives. It was then I realized that maybe moving so much was not normal. In the middle of my 4th grade year I got the news that I had come accustomed to hearing every couple of years or so- we were moving. However, this time the news hurt. I was tired of getting dragged around to new towns and schools. I wanted to stay in one place like everyone else. I was tired of getting comfortable only to leave what began to become familiar.

We were moving to Oklahoma this time. It had seemed as if the joke I had always heard about this town had come true- it’s a black hole and no matter how many times you leave- you always come back. I had been there 3 times before, but this time we would be staying for 3 years. We moved in the middle of summer, which gave us time to move in and get ready for the school year. Now, because my family moved around so much we always lived in the military post’s temporary houses. However, for some reason, this time my parents decided to go house hunting. I was very unfamiliar with this house-hunting concept. We arrived in town and began looking at houses. We had been looking for 10 days in the middle of the sweltering Oklahoma summer. That year records had been broken for high temperatures. Getting in and out of the car and into the hellish heat became tedious. The 10th day, my mom had had it. We came to a house that had just been built. We toured it and liked it. I will never forget what my mom said to my dad after looking at the house driving to our hotel. She said, “It’s a nice house in a nice neighborhood. It’s too hot and I’m tired of looking. Besides, we’ll only be here 3 years. Let’s get it.” So we did. The next day we went to the realtor and bought the house. Our first house as a family- finally no temporary army house. We actually had a house. Now, you may be thinking, “It’s just a house- why in the world did you get so excited?” To me, buying that house meant that things wouldn’t be so temporary. We would actually be here for a while. My family had never gotten too comfortable in one place, and now, it seemed as if we had. We actually had our own place. A place where there were no rules- we could paint the walls if we wanted to, and we could park our cars anyway we chose to. We had finally settled in to a place that I knew I would want to get used to.

That fall I started my 5th grade year at one of the local elementary schools. I met wonderful friends that were not so temporary and made good memories. I finished up my grade school days at there and prepared to get ready for junior high. Now, it had been planned that after my 7th grade year we would probably move. I blocked it from my mind. I did not want to leave the life I had begun to build. My 7th grade year came and went without mention of moving. Each time my father had the opportunity to pick the top three places he would want to get transferred to, this town would be at the top of the list. We became active members of our church and made several close friends through the activities there. My little sister finished her first year at the same elementary school I had as I finished my first year of junior high. A lot of transitions began occurring in my life. I had a close circle of friends, I became a teenager, and I got heavily involved in school activities.

The years came and went. Many changes occurred in those years- some good and some bad. However there was a constant that remained- through everything, life still went on, and it went on in our house- here in my little town. At that point I had grown to be a junior in high school. Our family joke had become the fact that we somehow remained here after all of these years. We should have moved 2 years earlier, yet we remained. It’s almost as if my mom’s statement of only staying temporarily became an ironic falsity. By this time we came to love this place, the place we previously deemed the black hole. Moving was no longer a fear of mine. I knew for as long as I lived in here that red brick house on the west side of town would be mine. However, that year a turning point occurred in my family. My dad had reached his 20 years in the military. He was faced with a choice. He was up for promotion. If he took it we would have to move to Kansas for 6 months. After those 6 months there would be a few more moves over a short time span. His other option would be to retire and look for a new job. After many conversations, and after much prayer, my father retired from the military the summer after my junior year and began a job hunt. My dad didn’t find much here, but an opportunity came for him to get a job in Dallas. Regardless of where my dad got a job, we all agreed the rest of the family would remain here so that I could finish my last year of high school here. After all, I had finally remained in a school system for over 6 years, and had friends I had known since grade school. I had found my niche and wasn’t about to leave it behind my last year. I wanted to walk across the stage with the people I had literally grown up with.

My dad began his job in Dallas, working there all week and returing home on the weekends. My family decided that after I graduated they would move to Dallas. My senior year my parents spent a lot of weekends house hunting for the right place. This made me somewhat sad. I knew I’d be in college, so where my parents lived shouldn’t really matter, but for some reason it did. This town was an anchor point for me. If my parents were not there, I wouldn’t have any reason to stay. I wanted them to stay in here, in the house we had built together. Where we celebrated Christmases, and had family come visit us. Where I had dozens of sleepovers and movie nights. Where I arrived home to after going on my first date, getting my license, and eventually my diploma. The thought of that brick house on the west side of town not being ours was something I couldn’t think of. Moving took on a different meaning to me as I reached my senior year. It was something I had forgotten how to do. It was something I didn’t want to do. I simply couldn’t imagine driving by that house seeing different cars in the driveway, different flowers in the beds, and different people in the windows, where new colors decked the wall and different aromas filled the house. That house was not just a place I lived in like all of the others, it had become our home, a place where I knew we’d be forever. A place where my best friend, my sister, lived just up the hall. That house was where I grew up. It was my family’s home and the symbol of the place we knew we could always return to and would always be accepted at.

My senior year came and went, and as it came closer to the time to move, my family couldn’t seem to leave. P, my sister, loved her school. We loved our church. We loved our life here. Oklahoma had become our home, and leaving it didn’t seem natural. So, my family decided to stay here, and I decided to attend college and remain close to home. Things are still as normal, and I still live in that red brick house on the west side of town.

Now, if you were to drive by my house you would simply see a house. And I guess that’s pretty much all it is. However, when I drive by my house I see the love and joy of many wonderful years my family has built on. I see a place that after many years of moving, I knew that we would always be here. That brings me to the moral of my story. Home is where the heart is. Home is the place you cannot imagine leaving. Regardless of where we may have moved, we would have been “okay, ” but over the many years we spent in here, it became close to our heart. So, remember that home is where your heart is. I hope you have found a place for your heart as my family has found for ours.

Broken Silence

I can now freely talk about our “big secret,” and I am so ready to. It’s been killing me for months now…

Will and I are moving to Kuwait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don’t know if all of the exlamation marks are necessary since I’ve never been there and it is in an area of unrest, but nontheless I am excited about this new chapter.

We applied for jobs a few months ago-once my family decided to move over there- but had heard nothing and couldn’t say anything for risk of Will losing his job- our situation is not the greatest where we are now. The church where we serve is famous in our town for divisions and “running off staff,” so we totally had to keep our mouth shut until Will could officially resign. We are going to tell the youth tonight, which will be sad because they planned a “surprise” birthday party for me. :( It is time to leave for now. We will continue to serve God, just not in a full time ministry position. That is a whole other blog day though- I don’t want to talk about all of those hurts.

Will and I got notice that we will have to be in Kuwait in 3 weeks. I will probably have to take my finals early and not get to go to graduation, which will be sad, but at the same time I will be glad to be in the same place as my family.

I have yet to get a job, but Will will be starting in a few weeks. As of now we will be living in the same building as my parents, so that will be nice so they can help us find our way around and get adjusted to life there. It sounds really different than what we Okies are used to. smile

There is just so much I want to say and blog about this new venture in our lives, but I don’t even know where to begin! My thoughts have been going a million miles a minute with the thoughts of moving and packing and school and finals and...and...and… smile Talk about a curve ball thrown into the mix. smile

I wanted so badly to tell the ladies I work with today, but I couldn’t. :( They told me to go get the mail and when I came back, they had cake and ice cream and sang happy birthday to me today since we all work different times on Thursday. I didn’t want to ruin everything. Carly made me a good cake, and Sheri got frozen yogurt to save on fat. wink Kaci- my bridesmaid- wrote me the most heart wrentching card and got me the incubus cd… how could I drop Big Bertha on them today?

So you are thinking- the longer you wait, the harder it is, and I know… I am just sad and for some reason scared to tell them. Not that they will be mad, but I had kept this whole thing from them for so long and now I’m all of a sudden like, “yeah, we’ve been planning on this forever now, and by the way… I have to be there in three weeks...“ That’s probably not the best way to have to tell someone somthing that big. I don’t know…

My mind is going everywhere! I tend to consider every single detail of every single thing, so I am driving myself crazy writing dozens of lists of things we need to remember to do. Poor Will, I am just going to have to try and not worry about everything so much. This is an exciting time for us. There will probably never be another time in our lives when this is the “perfect opportunity“ for us. We have no kids, nothing of serious importance… we can just get up and go. It is really exciting.

I could go on and on and on… and in the coming weeks, you’ll get to learn of all of the crazy stress moments in preparing to leave, but I am going to leave now and get other things done- like homework! That has seemed to take a backseat lately. smile

On a positive note, I found out I will be graduating cum laude. I was a little dissapointed because I thought I would be Magna (how dumb for me to be dissapointed, I know...), but that’s still pretty good.

Tomorrow is my birthday! What a fun thing! smile

God has totally blessed us, we have a lot to celebrate…

keeping secrets and sugar rushes

The countdown has begun. 4 weeks until I graduate and 4 days until my birthday, counting today. How fun. I am looking forward to this entire week. It’s funny how a Monday can seem lovely when you are looking forward to something that entire week. smile

Well, as I said yesterday, we got some good news- but I can’t say what yet! AGH! I have wanted to talk about it so bad, but I can’t yet, so now that you are wanting to know it too, you will have to wait until we hear something and I get the go ahead to finally unleash the 3 month long secret… and no… I am not pregnant. smile

Last night Will and I went out to celebrate our little secret. It was fun to have a date after church. We ate dinner and then we did the forbidden for two dieters (besides eating after 7)… we got ice cream from Shakeys. They are like shakes but thicker- kind of like a Sonic Blast. <3 It has been a while since I’ve had a good dose of sugar, so last night got crazy.

I don’t know if your body reacts a little differently after seriously monitoring sugar and fat intake, but I had a major sugar rush, and I haven’t had that in years.

We had to go over to my mom’s afterwards and I was prime, like never before. I mean, my mom and sister were cracking up- mostly because they don’t see me like that much. It was funny. It was a 20 minute high, and then we went home and I went to bed. Ha Ha. I guess I got wasted on ice cream. Go figure. smile

Electric Football, A Very Sad Day, and Other Things

This weekend was an emotional one, but has ended well. I will start with the sad and end with the good- that’s how I like things, with a happy ending.

Friday afternoon was a very sad day at my parent’s house. We put our faithful friend of 5 years, Cleo the dog, to sleep. If you are a dog lover you now hate us, but if you have ever had to do it, you can sympathize with how painful it can be. I spent all afternoon at my parent’s empty house (the movers had come that morning) and played with cleo, and just loved on her. It was good for me to do that- that was a good last memory. My whole family went to the vet to put her down, but Will and I stayed home. I’m glad I did. I wouldn’t have wanted to see her like that… So as you can see, my Friday was a very sad day.

I have cried a lot this week about my family moving and how I just can’t call up my sister to go shopping or just hang out or whatever, and Will has really helped me feel better. I know that we can get through anything, no matter how hard its been.

So to cheer me up, we spent all Friday just holding eachother and watching funny shows and movies. I started to get bored so Will and I pulled out this ancient electric football game I didn’t even know he had. It was so cute- he had had it since he was a little kid. He takes such good care of his stuff- even as a kid- everything was still packaged like new.  It takes forever to set your players up, and then the “field” vibrates and moves all of the players- it was a very long process because after each play you have to stop and reset up each man. We never even scored a touchdown- Will kicked a field goal. It was fun- talk about 80s nostalgia.

We got good news today- can’t say yet, but there will be more to come- this truly cheered me up!

HAve a good day

Page 48 of 49 pages « First  <  46 47 48 49 >


brittny I'm B-Love. Lover of God, my husband Will, my doggies, OU football, weight training, plyometrics healthy eating (mostly!), peanut butter, and all things health related. Buckle up and get ready for my constant embarrassing moments, health and fitness tips,and my effort to rely on Christ while living life in the real world. Follow me on Feedly! Sign up for monthly emails at!

From Flickr


Most recent entries



Site Meter